Quantcast

list of all the CSS properties?

Dean, John

CSS discuss group,

I'm near the end stages of writing a book on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and I'm reviewing all the URLs in my book. Unfortunately, the link I used for showing all the CSS properties is now quite a bit different than what it was several months ago. When I wrote my CSS chapter, I said "The W3C's official CSS properties reference is at https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS/#properties. That link used to take me to a nice table with all the properties with their associated default values and their associated inheritability status.

But now, that link takes me to "section 4.4. Property Index" in the "CSS Snapshot 2017" page. And that section lists things like align-content and box-decoration-break, which I don't think are CSS properties (?). So do you know of the best URL for a complete list of CSS properties so I can refer to it in my book?

If I use the wiki page at https://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/CSS/Properties (which is organized quite nicely) instead of the above URL, can I count on that URL persisting for a long time (my first edition should run about 4 years)?

Thanks,
john

John Dean, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Chair of Computer Science and Information Systems
Park University - Parkville Campus
Computer Science and Information Systems
8700 NW River Park Drive
Parkville, MO  64152
816-584-6422 (Office)
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

This e-mail message and any attached files are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient or person responsible for delivering this confidential communication to the intended recipient, you have received this communication in error, and any review, use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying, or other distribution of this e-mail message and any attached files is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this confidential communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail message and permanently delete the original message.  Thank you.

Re: list of all the CSS properties?

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd)

Dean, John wrote:
> CSS discuss group,
>
> I'm near the end stages of writing a book on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and I'm reviewing all the URLs in my book. Unfortunately, the link I used for showing all the CSS properties is now quite a bit different than what it was several months ago. When I wrote my CSS chapter, I said "The W3C's official CSS properties reference is at https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS/#properties. That link used to take me to a nice table with all the properties with their associated default values and their associated inheritability status.
>
> But now, that link takes me to "section 4.4. Property Index" in the "CSS Snapshot 2017" page. And that section lists things like align-content and box-decoration-break, which I don't think are CSS properties (?).
My conjecture (from my reading of that page) would be that they /are/ CSS properties.
Philip Taylor

Re: list of all the CSS properties?

Philippe Wittenbergh

> On Apr 15, 2017, at 8:17 PM, Dean, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS/#properties. That link used to take me to a nice table with all the properties with their associated default values and their associated inheritability status.
>
> But now, that link takes me to "section 4.4. Property Index" in the "CSS Snapshot 2017" page.

That page is indeed the list of all existing (or under development) CSS properties.

> And that section lists things like align-content and box-decoration-break, which I don't think are CSS properties (?).

Both certainly are. If you follow the link from both you end up at their respective modules. ‘align-content’ is currently being implemented (it already is used for things like CSS-Flexbox, CSS-Grid).

> So do you know of the best URL for a complete list of CSS properties so I can refer to it in my book?
>
> If I use the wiki page at https://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/CSS/Properties (which is organised quite nicely) instead of the above URL, can I count on that URL persisting for a long time (my first edition should run about 4 years)?

Hmm, that page, as far as I can tell, mostly lists the properties from CSS2. It is a good starting point, but doesn’t cover more recent (important) developments such as the aforementioned CSS-Flexbox and CSS-Grid modules, with quite important as building boxes for layout. Things are constantly moving and 4 years is a *long* time in the world of web development.

Not sure what to suggest, I think your first link ( https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS/#properties) is probably the most stable entry point, as it will keep updating to point to the most recent development. An even more complete list is this: https://drafts.csswg.org/indexes/ (but note the draft status).

As an alternative, there is the excellent documentation maintained by the people at mozilla.org: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Reference

Good luck with your project.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
https://l-c-n.com/

Re: list of all the CSS properties?

Mi B

> apr. 15 2017 Dean, John <[hidden email]>:
>
> If I use the wiki page at https://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/CSS/Properties (which is organized quite nicely) instead of the above URL, can I count on that URL persisting for a long time (my first edition should run about 4 years)?

Isn’t the obvious idea to print your own editable short link and change as necessary once you’ve re-found a good set of data to link to?

Another idea, if the originator so permits, to save a copy that you host yourself with a link to the original.