Pure CSS variables (no preprocessors)

Reese
Is anyone playing with this yet? Using it in production?
Browser support is reportedly 69% worldwide, US-only support is 77%
according to caniuse.com (as reported in the article) and IE-Edge
support is in the works:

https://medium.com/dev-channel/css-variables-no-really-76f8c91bd34e

What it looks like:

:root {
     --borders: 1px solid black;
     --heights: 100px;
     --widths: 100px;
}

.class {
     border: var(--borders);
     height: var(--heights);
     width: var(--widths);
}

I tested this, it seemed to work fine on Ubuntu running Firefox
v53.x (64-bit).

Could this make preprocessors like LESS and SASS obsolete?
Are there any gotcha's?

Reese

Re: Pure CSS variables (no preprocessors)

Reese
At 03:20 PM 5/18/2017, Reese wrote:

<stuff>

Wow, the formatting on that got clobbered. Will probably get clobbered
on this email also.

How long has that been happening?

Reese

Re: Pure CSS variables (no preprocessors)

Philippe Wittenbergh

> On May 19, 2017, at 4:20 AM, Reese <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is anyone playing with this yet? Using it in production?

Yes and yes.
To the second question “production” is for webviews inside an iOS app.

> Browser support is reportedly 69% worldwide, US-only support is 77%
> according to caniuse.com (as reported in the article) and IE-Edge
> support is in the works

That is the crux of the issue if you want to deploy those stylesheets on the open web, right? MS Edge 15 (latest version) has only minimal penetration so far (not surprising, it has not been widely released…). All previous version don’t support css variables. FWIW, I have _on average_ a 15%~20% user base for IE 11.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
https://l-c-n.com/

Re: Pure CSS variables (no preprocessors)

Eric A. Meyer
On 18 May 2017, at 19:26, Reese wrote:

> Wow, the formatting on that got clobbered. Will probably get clobbered
> on this email also.
>
> How long has that been happening?

Hard to say.  What formatting got clobbered?  You initial post didn't
look mangled to me.

--
Eric A. Meyer - http://meyerweb.com/

At 09:24 PM 5/18/2017, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>On 18 May 2017, at 19:26, Reese wrote: > Wow, the formatting on that
>got clobbered. Will probably get clobbered > on this email also. > >
>How long has that been happening? Hard to say.  What formatting got
>clobbered?  You initial post didn't look mangled to me. -- Eric A.
>Meyer - http://meyerweb.com/

Weird. Looks fine in the archives too. What I see above though, is
compressed into a single format-flowed paragraph with zero line
breaks. I hope this is correctable on my end, that it isn't something
that will force me to abandon use of Eudora.

Reese

Re: Pure CSS variables (no preprocessors)

Karl DeSaulniers
Maybe a re-install is in order?

Best,

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

At 08:08 PM 5/21/2017, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:
>Maybe a re-install is in order?

Dunno. I asked about it on a Eudora group, I'm not the only one who
has experienced this. Working hypothesis ATM: randomly-triggered
bug in the Eudora v7.1.0.9 message viewer.

Reese